We're open for shopping in-person in Venice...two doors down from Gjusta Bakery. Visit us daily from 10am-6pm.
Forage, Harvest, Feast
In this groundbreaking collection, celebrated New York City forager, cook, kitchen gardener, and writer Marie Viljoen incorporates wild ingredients into everyday menus and special occasion fare. Motivated by a hunger for new flavors and working with thirty-six versatile wild plants―some increasingly found in farmers markets―she offers deliciously compelling recipes, including variations on:
- Snacks & Appetizers
- Preserves, Sauces and Syrups
- Ferments, spices, and salts
From underexplored native flavors like bayberry and spicebush to accessible ecological threats like Japanese knotweed and mugwort, Viljoen presents hundreds of recipes unprecedented in scope. They range from simple quickweed griddle cakes with American burnweed butter to sophisticated dishes like a souffléed tomato roulade stuffed with garlic mustard, or scallops seared with sweet white clover, cattail pollen, and sweetfern butter. Viljoen makes unfamiliar ingredients familiar by treating each to a thorough culinary examination, allowing readers to grasp every plant’s character and inflection.
Forage, Harvest, Feast―featuring hundreds of color photographs as well as cultivation tips for plants easily grown at home―is destined to become a standard reference for any cook wanting to transform wildcrafted ingredients into exceptional dishes, spices, and drinks.
Eating wild food, Viljoen reminds us, is a radical act of remembering and honoring our shared heritage. Led by a quest for exceptional flavor and ecologically sound harvesting, she tames the feral kitchen, making it recognizable and welcoming to regular cooks.
To include a gift note with your order, please enter your brief message in the 'Gift Note' field on the checkout page. We have cards available for purchase online. If one is not purchased with your order, we will write your message on a complimentary manilla tag which fits about 5-7 words.
For information on volume & corporate gifting, please email email@example.com.
- Store pick up, local delivery & domestic shipping options available at checkout. We do not ship internationally.
- All orders are processed and shipped from our Venice, CA location by our small team within 2-3 business days of purchase. Shipping estimates provided at checkout are not exact, and are subject to change based on packaging date, and common carrier delays. All carrier delays are out of our control.
- Gjusta Goods is not responsible for lost, misplaced or stolen packages. Please contact the shipping carrier with your tracking number for assistance.
All online and instore exchanges will be honored within 14 days of purchase for Gjusta Goods store credit or exchange. Store credit can be used at any time in store or online. All vintage items are final sale. Item(s) must be exchanged in new, unused condition, with store receipt or with gift receipt. At this time, single-issue refunds are not accepted. Learn more here.